PDA

View Full Version : Somebody looking to take Drathaar's place at the top of the heap....

muddyduck
12-28-2012, 06:21 PM
...or the bottom of the creek, I should say.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/379474_481963345187379_529859579_n.jpg

Bwana1
12-28-2012, 06:27 PM
decoys look good........

muddyduck
12-28-2012, 06:50 PM
decoys look good........
True, but should they place them that close to the sinkbox?

Drahthaar
12-29-2012, 02:26 AM
Everything looks normal :rolleyes:

Osprey
12-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Everything looks normal :rolleyes:

I keep thinking I might invite you over to my place, but then my self preservation instinct kicks in. :D

Drahthaar
12-29-2012, 03:01 PM
I ran into another duck hunter at the Royal Farm store this AM.

It took him about 2-3 min. to finally shake hands with me. I'm wondering if he got skunked today too:flame:

muddyduck
12-29-2012, 07:07 PM
D, you are a 4 leaf clover in reverse. LOL

These two unfortunates in the photo told us that they were just motoring along in the morning and the young man started to trim up the engine and his carolina skiff's bow went way up in the air and the whole boat flipped over and they had to swim for their lives.

About 5:30am we heard a bunch of hollering and carrying on. I told they guys I was with, Brian and Dave, that something bad just happened to someone. Within a minute or three we heard a boat speeding back towards the ramp. We speculated and guessed that maybe someone forgot a gun or something like that, and put the commotion out of our minds.

About an hour later I noticed a "funny looking island" about 50 yards outside our decoys that I don't ever remember seeing before. For a moment I though it looked like a boat but not quite, so I tried to ignore it. A few minutes later another boat came by and when the spot light hit the "funny looking island" we could instantly see that it was an over turned boat that was being swept along in the current. The guys coming by us told me that another party had come across the guys in the water just after they flipped and took them back to the ramp. They tried to help by towing the boat away from us, but all that happened was that they proceeded to get it grounded directly infront of our decoy spread. They dropped the tow rope and left it there. So....Dave and myself went out with my boat and dragged the wreck up wind about 100 yards. Against the current and wind that took about 20-30 minutes. I used my anchor to hold it fast to the bank and we went back to hunting.

I figured that NRP would show up before long, but as luck would have it, we finished hunting and were picking up when they brought the now dried off and warmed up hunters back for the remains. Crazy thing was that the one fellow's gun was actually tangled in the wad of decoys and they recovered it. When we left they had the boat upright and floating, and I assume the NRP towed it back to the ramp.

Drahthaar
12-30-2012, 04:29 AM
Better a boat than 2 bodies. Wind can be a duck hunters best friend or worst enemy.

muddyduck
12-30-2012, 07:19 AM
It wasn't windy.....it was 5-10mph at best when they went down....I'd guess closer to 5 than 10. It did pick up to about 10mph later in the day.

Just some kind of operator error. Overloaded, or to much weight in the stern, or top heavy, something to that effect. From what the "capt" said, when he trimed the little motor for shallow water drive it was more than that 12ft skiff could handle and she went over. I didn't see the actual flip, only heard the faint hollering in the aftermath, so I don't know for sure, but I assumed from what he said that the boat went down stern first and rolled on it's side, or as it went stern first everything in the boat slid back and caused the flip. There wasn't any waves or enough wind to get under the hull and flip it end over end just from wind alone.

Better a boat than 2 bodies
You got that right....When I first realized it was an over turned boat and not a mud flat or island my first thought was that there may be a body floating along with it. It was a great relief when the group that put the spotlight on the hull told us that the guys had been rescued and were O.K.

Drahthaar
12-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Operator error???? I hope that never happens to me:embarrased:

nalley1952
12-31-2012, 08:46 AM
Dumb asses! Glad they made it out but they shouldn't be allowed on the water again. Could have been bad news