Thread: decoy shine

Barney

decoy shine

Well I kinda screwed up. Been repainting decoys the past several evenings. Everything looking great UNTIL I mistakenly started using satin black instead of flat. No problem I thought, just go get some Krylon 1311 matte finish.

NOPE! Hmmm....Krylon flat finish helped a little, but there ist still too much shine.

Any thoughts or suggestions? These are divers, bluebills, redheads, and canvasback decoys with a lot of black showing. Thanks.

Cool Club
    i paint up my scaup decoys with that cheap walmart flat black and for the white i use a good krylon bright white. works for me.

i have found that if you use the cheap walmart spraypaint clearcoat it will make old decoys look better without making them too shiny.

i bought some ghg scaup decoys a few years ago and my old homemade ones work just as good.

on the suggestion thing......try misting that flat black lightly over the shiney-er black. that might be the easiest soloution. that will make it duller but not too dull.

good luck.
    Last edited by dead animal; 10-14-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Noob
    Shine will not hurt anything at all.

Let Em' Land!

SR Hunter
    Alot of decoy makers use a satin black on em.
    Busting roosts since 83

"The crime scene was littered with hair weaves and extensions pulled off in the altercation."

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampHunter View Post
    Shine will not hurt anything at all.
    what im thinking, especially divers. i dont do it, but thats the effect you get with amorall from what ive seen, and people use that all the time.

Steel wool?

Noob

decoy shine

Try leaving em out in the sun a bit. That will fade the shine out. Or as suggested above pick up a few $.99 rattle cans and gently 'fog' a light coat over them.