Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permethrin

Jr Hunter

Permethrin

Wear it guys! 30 minutes in the woods Sunday to put out a trail cam, got covered in seed ticks... sore throat, swollen limphs, cold sweats, aches, plus all the damn itching... got so weak I finally gave in and went to the doctor. Two shots in the ass are helping so far.

Picked ticks off almost daily growing up and never had a problem, so I didn't take it seriously. Several buddies have had real problems, one got the red meat allergy, another lyme, and one was hospitalized for several weeks... no more playing around with it from me. The GOAT says he'd rather be snake bit than tick bit, thought he was crazy, but maybe not

Double Banded
    That stuff scare off chiggers too? Good God my legs looked like they was used as an ashtray. Damn red bumps and bites from my sack south.
    Last edited by smashdn; 09-02-2014 at 09:11 PM.
    "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Yet, in spite of the ubiquity of the phenomenon, there is no word for the exact opposite of fragile. Let us call it antifragile. Antifragility is beyond resilience or robustness. The resilient resists shocks and stays the same; the antifragile gets better". Antifragile: Things That Gain From Disorder, Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Jr Hunter
    Could be seed ticks... I always called em turkey mites... they're the larvae of the lone star tick, hatch from July-September... the lone star is the one that can cause the red meat allergy, crossing my fingers that doesn't get me

Double Banded
    What happens if you get that allergy? Your meat start swelling?
    "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Yet, in spite of the ubiquity of the phenomenon, there is no word for the exact opposite of fragile. Let us call it antifragile. Antifragility is beyond resilience or robustness. The resilient resists shocks and stays the same; the antifragile gets better". Antifragile: Things That Gain From Disorder, Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Pond Popper
    Gentlemen,

I wished you would have contacted me. Many years ago when I was much younger, I spent 9 months working on a USDA-TVA funded tick research project in LBL. I hate ticks. Let me say that again I HATE TICKS!! As many of you that have been in the field with me have heard me say "I would rather be snake bit than tick bit!" I have been treated for Lyme and Rocky Mountian. The resident Doctor will also confirm that the test for Lyme is only about 70% accurate and teh treatment of Doxycyclene (Sp?) is cheaper than the cost of running the test for Lyme. With that said, I have a recipe on how to make your own Permanone that is like 20% the cost of the cans on the shelf. I routenely spray my yard twice a year with the same stuff they spray at Hillman Ferry and Piney Campgrounds at LBL. What can I say I hate ticks. And those mis-informed there are no such things as Turkey Lice. There are however 7 different species of ticks with 3 distintive life forms (larvae, pupae, and adult) that plague us here in this great state.

Let me know if you need my assistance.

WE
    Charter Member of the Jackson County Fan Club!!

Double Banded
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyle E. Coyote View Post
    Let me know if you need my assistance.

WE
    Travis said he'd call you to check him for ticks. Any you pick off you can study.

Wyle e., when'd them lone star ticks show up around KY? When I was younger we only had the normal run of the mill dog ticks to worry about. Now we got the spotted ones and them microscopic ones.

Sometimes I can walk through the woods and never have a one on me, other times you have to scape them off with a knife blade there are so many. What's up with that?

Jr Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    What happens if you get that allergy? Your meat start swelling?
    Hahaha... not exactly... usually a delayed reaction several hours after consuming, so it's not like a nut or shell fish allergy that happens immediately... most reported painful burning hives, some more serious cases actually had air ways start to swell shut... it can also cause an allergy to dairy in some cases... think about that, no red meat or dairy! My buddy now eats a totally plant based diet all from one tick bite...

Im fortunate to have went in early and and got treated quickly as well as mention the ticks, I knew from the other buddy. He tried to tough it out, never thought to mention the tick bite, and was treated with mild antibiotics for an allergy infection... he damn near died, had severe infection set in on his lungs and spent several weeks in the hospital recovering

Sorry for not taking your tick speeches more seriously WE, you have my attention now...

Pond Popper
    Travis said he'd call you to check him for ticks. Any you pick off you can study.

Wyle e., when'd them lone star ticks show up around KY? When I was younger we only had the normal run of the mill dog ticks to worry about. Now we got the spotted ones and them microscopic ones.

Sometimes I can walk through the woods and never have a one on me, other times you have to scape them off with a knife blade there are so many. What's up with that?
    I will leave the picking to Rochelle (Sp ?). As for the date most likely between 1980 and 1985. They first appeared in high deer density areas. Which at the time was only LBL. They suspect they came in from deer hunters from Penn who brought them to LBL and they thrieved. Then the KDFWR introduced them to the entire state with its deer stocking program from deer captured at LBL and Ballard. They showed up in Ohio County in 1987 (At that time one of the only high deer density counties. From there they expanded out as the heard increased.

I mainly hunt the river bottoms that flood because of them. They survive in the leaf litter over winter but have not figured out how to survive under the Ohio River floods without a snorkle. I have a can or spray bottle of permanone with me all of the time, but I only use it on bare skin when I need too, and if it gets really bad I have stripped down naked and sprayed down to kill the little bass-tards. What you describe is finding a hatch. You can brush up against teh back side of a leaf and actually get 10,000 of the little bass-tards on you. The best thing to carry with you is a good roll of masking tape. Turn the tape inside out make a loop and stick it too you. When the bass-tards find you stickem with the tape and they will stay put. At the end of the day give torch the tape and send them to purgatory!

WE

Pond Popper
    One other thing,

Another precautionary measures at this time of year is to tape your pants legs up like you were blousing your pants. As you come up your legs to the top of the boot turn the tape around and run two passes with the sticky side out then turn it back over for 2 more wraps and then when you tear it off tape it back to itself so you have a nice pull tab to take it off with. The sticky side out wll catch teh bass-tards that crawl up your leg. Always tuck your shirt tail in like momma told you and spray your belt line around your waist. If you are really in serious tick country also tape you shirt sleaves for the litte bass-tards will eat your under arms up if you find a hatch.

Take precaution. Kill them whenever you can!

WE

Double Banded
    Permanone, permethrin, or DEET? Permethrin you put on your clothes ahead of time right? Not sure about the permanone. Deet is supposed to not be real good for you and it will take the finish off a gun stock.

Last edited by smashdn; 09-03-2014 at 08:51 AM.

Jr Hunter
    Neck deep in crap with nothing but a tea spoon
    Quote Originally Posted by travis_duckhunter View Post
    Wear it guys! 30 minutes in the woods Sunday to put out a trail cam, got covered in seed ticks... sore throat, swollen limphs, cold sweats, aches, plus all the damn itching... got so weak I finally gave in and went to the doctor. Two shots in the ass are helping so far.

Picked ticks off almost daily growing up and never had a problem, so I didn't take it seriously. Several buddies have had real problems, one got the red meat allergy, another lyme, and one was hospitalized for several weeks... no more playing around with it from me. The GOAT says he'd rather be snake bit than tick bit, thought he was crazy, but maybe not
    Man I know what you mean.Been out there Since opening morning Geese and Doves. I prayed down but Ticks still crawled on me.Got no chiggers tho.But like you my throat eyes bothering me from being out there.But im going out for Doves again this afternoon.Eyes might be swelled and throat sore but I will shoot at them any way.
    Your not a Duck Hunter if you think a jerk string is a queer daisy chain

Double Banded
    Ticks are Gods creatures too.
    " You don't have to live like a refugee" --Tom Petty

Jr Hunter
    Neck deep in crap with nothing but a tea spoon
    Quote Originally Posted by B.M. Barrelcooker View Post
    Ticks are Gods creatures too.
    So is stupid people and I don't want them on me eitherI push them away too.
    Your not a Duck Hunter if you think a jerk string is a queer daisy chain

Double Banded
    Permanone, permethrin, or DEET? Permethrin you put on your clothes ahead of time right? Not sure about the permanone. Deet is supposed to not be real good for you and it will take the finish off a gun stock.

Dear Lord, when I seen this post I thought I had wondered over to the fuge.
    Quote Originally Posted by EKYridgerunner View Post
    Probably talking bout smash big dickin on KYH.

Double Banded
    permatrim.....meet permabuzz

Double Banded
    And the dead shall walk again.
    Quote Originally Posted by EKYridgerunner View Post
    Probably talking bout smash big dickin on KYH.

Double Banded
    Jekyl and Hyde. Now we know what he was on.

Pond Popper
    Hilltopper,

Permethrin is the active ingredient. Permanone is one of the first liscensed products to be able to be sold in KY the old green can with yellow lid. There are now about 3 different brands that you can buy it under. Deet is also an active ingredient and does not kill anything only repels them. Permethrin kills them! That is why it is not labeled to use on your skin. But check you dawg flea and tick bath (in the old days we called it dip) check the store for head lice spray, check the cattle spray for bugs at the Farmers Wallmart (Rural King). All of these contain permethrin. Permethrin binds to your clothes and when properly applied will last up to 2 weeks without retreatment. You can follow the can directions but the best thing is to spray your clothes first and then put them in garbage bag for a day.

WE

Double Banded
    I keep a bottle of Doxycycline in the cabinet. You can take a dose within 3 days of tick bite as a preventative measure. Also works for Chlamydia....

Double Banded
    What you got for toenail fungus justin ?