Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: to crossbow or not to crossbow?

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by Markstanco View Post
    Dodge bolt sounds like an entertaining after school game.
    Second only to dodge bottle rockets. Amirite?

Cool Club
    So much this. A crossbow is a LOT closer to a compound than a compound is to a recurve.
    However neither a wheel bow or a recurve remained cocked for 4 hours while you wait on deer. Raising your xbow and shooting is no different than a shotgun. Getting deer inside 30 yards is easy, standing and coming to full draw is the hard part.

Then there's the crew who think cause the xbow is shoulder fired they can shoot 80 yards
    despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems --Ryan Job

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
    However neither a wheel bow or a recurve remained cocked for 4 hours while you wait on deer. Raising your xbow and shooting is no different than a shotgun. Getting deer inside 30 yards is easy, standing and coming to full draw is the hard part.

Then there's the crew who think cause the xbow is shoulder fired they can shoot 80 yards
    Getting a deer inside 30 yards may be "easy", but getting a big deer inside 30 yards is not easy at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by burns_312 View Post
    Getting a deer inside 30 yards may be "easy", but getting a big deer inside 30 yards is not easy at all.

My point. If/when that 6 yr old 180" buck gets there. The xbow hunter has to shoulder and squeeze. Wheel or re curve, if in a tree, have to stand, draw,aim and shoot all before a deer sees him.

Only the Green!
    My point. If/when that 6 yr old 180" buck gets there. The xbow hunter has to shoulder and squeeze. Wheel or re curve, if in a tree, have to stand, draw,aim and shoot all before a deer sees him.
    Only difference between the two is the draw part. Xbow hunter still has to aim and shoot also. I'm not saying it's not tougher, but my point is getting the big deer inside 30 yards is the hardest part.

Cool Club
    20 times more movement in a vertical bow draw cycle

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cool Club

That's amazing.
    google blue waffle

Cool Club
    20 times more movement in a vertical bow draw cycle

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    On record, I know a cbow is tougher than a xbow.

More movement, and tougher to pull even with the 70 or 80 let off. I get it.

But my point is only a true recurve hunter can make fun of a cross bow. And I don't bow hunt.

Xbow is great for old broken down guys like roger and rutledge who wear tampons once a month.
    google blue waffle

Cool Club
    But my point is only a true recurve hunter can make fun of a cross bow. And I don't bow hunt.

Xbow is great for old broken down guys like roger and rutledge who wear tampons once a month.
    I can make fun of a crossbow shooter cause my 13 year old has been shooting 5 or 6 years as does my wife. Even she talks the shit to capable crossbow shooters. You know, the ones with tampons

Only the Green!
    I really don't care either way what you shoot nor do I look down on anyone for shooting whatever they want to shoot. If you like crossbows shoot a crossbow. I don't even think we ought to have an early archery season. We ought to just have 'deer season' starting Oct 1 and you can shoot whatever makes you happy.

What I will say Mark is that I have watched videos of a 5 or 6 year old kid killing deer and shooting targets with a crossbow on a tripod rest that totally holds the crossbow up. All they do is put the red dot or crosshairs on the target and bam, bullseye. Once set up there is almost no movement or effort to get the shot off. A small child can do it. Not the same as getting drawn on a deer and holding until the shot is right. Nowhere near the same.

I agree current compound bows are amazingly accurate and easy to set up and tune. Not anywhere near the same game as a recurve with fingers, especially bare bow. But it is still much more difficult to operate than a crossbow in a hunting situation. A compound bow still requires proper form to shoot well. Proper grip, proper anchor points and proper release. A crossbow requires a good rest and a good trigger squeeze.

Cool Club
    Oh snap!
    google blue waffle

Only the Green!
    Come on boys, let's just whip them out and place them on the table to see who's is bigger.
    Damn, bunch of uptights in here to freaking worry about what someone else shoots with. Next thing you know, people are going to say fishing with croakers isn't really fishing.

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Tox View Post

Come on boys, let's just whip them out and place them on the table to see who's is bigger.
    Mine's 37.4"............oh, you aren't talking about crossbows.

There's research that indicates that the more a guy pisses and moans about the latest advancements in hunting bows and rifles, the higher the estrogen levels is in his system.
    CAVU

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Tox View Post
    Damn, bunch of uptights in here to freaking worry about what someone else shoots with. Next thing you know, people are going to say fishing with croakers isn't really fishing.
    Right there. Who cares if swing wants to shoot a crossbow. It's legal, ain't it? ******* purists. It's fine if you are, but don't try to push your shit off on me.
    Vote for Ducko for POTY 2019!

What the Duece? - Stewart Gilligan Griffin

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueGoose View Post
    Right there. Who cares if swing wants to shoot a crossbow. It's legal, ain't it? ******* purists. It's fine if you are, but don't try to push your shit off on me.
    Rotator cuff got me

I never was a great shot and had to practice a lot.

Had to get permit for xbow then they made them legal.

Yes they are a lot easier to kill a deer with.

Still need them 40 yards or less

The string jump is a lot worse for xbow due to noise

Sent from my GT-I9515L using Tapatalk

Cool Club
    well, after reading all the responses, i guess ill just go to the doc and have him turn my pecker inside out. ill have to scissor the wife from now on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    The gayest thing has to be sig lining your refuge post count.
    Total Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AgDuckHunter View Post
    I got rear-ended by a drunk old man when I was in college (and he was going in and out fast)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther View Post
    but I love the sausage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
    Reckon I'm queer too

Cool Club
    That's amazing.
    If you get a decent rig, there is plenty of KE at 80 yards for a full pass thru. 1.5" or larger broadhead and a full pass thru equals dead deer 100% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    Pat, You can have a damn horsecock sammich for all I care. Dont come cryin to me all hungry and whining you ungrateful redbone Beauregard parish illegitimate git of a pulpwooder and a truck stop hoe. Lucky for you that Mr. n Mrs. Wells took you in after finding you in a bar ditch.

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by swing View Post

well, after reading all the responses, i guess ill just go to the doc and have him turn my pecker inside out. ill have to scissor the wife from now on.
    Sounds like plan and probably not that big a deal. The Doc might even do it free it you give him a little now and then.
    CAVU

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hilljack View Post

If you get a decent rig, there is plenty of KE at 80 yards for a full pass thru. 1.5" or larger broadhead and a full pass thru equals dead deer 100% of the time.
    If it's not at 20 yards I don't shot. I might make an exception some day, but not on a doe. It's still dead on at 50 yards but it wouldn't take much of a crosswind to be problematic.

I'm sure a proper hit out to 100 yards would kill a deer but my scope only has marks for 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards. Anything past that and you would just be guessing.
    CAVU

Cool Club
    Swing, earlier I said Ten Point.

Just spent all lunch w'a bow guy he recs the Wicked Ridge made by Ten Point. Half the price and only lose 10-20 fps depending on model. He said Parker is crap and Horton isn't much better ( Horton was acquired by 10 pt but their QA issues are still there).