Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just got to meet one of the greats

Only the Green!
    I have a bat and black and white pic signed by him and a few others. It was his rookie year and him, Bass?, Darrel ?, and the GM were sitting at a folding table at Cortana mall in BR trying to get people to buy Astros tickets.

I also have a VHS of me and a buddy calling a 1/2 inning of a game against the Giants in '97? In the Budweiser booth and me and my buddy were annhilated and Bonds went deep and my buddy dropped the F-bomb and the Bud guys cut us off.

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by t mac 3 View Post
    And I believe that there was a 17 plus inning game when Art Howell was managing the Astros where he was nearly out of pitchers and he put Craig in to face a couple of batters.
    Might have been against the Pardres.
    I was at this game. Even though he didn't start, got to see my favorite pitcher (Orel Hershiser) come in in relief. He ended up pitching 7 innings, but my dad and I didn't stay til the end.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...98906030.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by jherr View Post
    Maybe we should call you Badass76
    Quote Originally Posted by TxFig View Post
    I really want to say something here, but can't come up with something that is both funny and doesn't sound totally pervish.
    Quote Originally Posted by swing View Post
    anyone have that old hunting picture with the old dude hanging his junk out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Heat View Post
    The Heat going to Heat....
    Either married or single
    It's how I roll

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Kook View Post
    Brett Favre?

I have no idea who that is
    Craig Biggio I think. Howdafuq you don't know that?

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    Fire Marshall Bill signed a baseball for your kid?
    Definitely your best post ever.

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by AgDuckHunter View Post
    Agree with that, too. He played darn near every position on the field (WELL, I might add) other than pitcher.
    Csb/

Guy my oldest goes to played every single position in one game for the Tigers.

https://youtu.be/4uLTD6a8Qeo
    google blue waffle

Only the Green!
    I can see how that might have been confusing. That is Wilson with him. His son plays ball for Notre Dame. That's who he was throwing to.
    Is that the place over there off I-10? My kid goes to hitting over there every once in a while. Great facility.
    Post count, what post count?

Cool Club
    Good god no you are a borderline hall of famers. How the hell are you going to live with that?

Double Banded
    "...among second basemen."

If that is the crux of your for argument he is borderline at best.
    "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Yet, in spite of the ubiquity of the phenomenon, there is no word for the exact opposite of fragile. Let us call it antifragile. Antifragility is beyond resilience or robustness. The resilient resists shocks and stays the same; the antifragile gets better". Antifragile: Things That Gain From Disorder, Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by pck View Post
    He knew the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. I think he's a slime ball. If anyone in the know thought he only bet on other teams when he was a manager and nothing more he would be in the hof. Most likely he was betting on his own team when he was playing etc. and that's why he won't be in the hof.
    Note:*=Satire

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Duckman View Post
    If anyone in the know thought he only bet on other teams when he was a manager and nothing more he would be in the hof. Most likely he was betting on his own team when he was playing etc. and that's why he won't be in the hof.
    Not exactly. His name is not on the ballot. In 1989, Pete Rose agreed with Bart Giamatti to be put on the ineligible list. At the time, there was no prohibition from his name appearing on the HOF ballot. I think Pete believed that he would still make the HOF. However, 8 days later, Giamatti died of a heart attack and Fay Vincent became his successor. Then, in 1991, a few months before Pete would have become HOF eligible for the first time, Vincent pushed a rule change that makes those ineligible to work in baseball ineligible for the HOF.

But in any event, Pete admits he bet on the Reds. But he maintains that he always bet for them to win.
    Quote Originally Posted by jherr View Post
    Maybe we should call you Badass76
    Quote Originally Posted by TxFig View Post
    I really want to say something here, but can't come up with something that is both funny and doesn't sound totally pervish.
    Quote Originally Posted by swing View Post
    anyone have that old hunting picture with the old dude hanging his junk out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Heat View Post
    The Heat going to Heat....
    Either married or single
    It's how I roll

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by 2indapink View Post
    I have a bat and black and white pic signed by him and a few others. It was his rookie year and him, Bass?, Darrel ?, and the GM were sitting at a folding table at Cortana mall in BR trying to get people to buy Astros tickets.

I also have a VHS of me and a buddy calling a 1/2 inning of a game against the Giants in '97? In the Budweiser booth and me and my buddy were annhilated and Bonds went deep and my buddy dropped the F-bomb and the Bud guys cut us off.
    Thats awesome!
    Do I play golf? NO SIR, golf is for folks that can't kill ducks and can't catch fish!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdavis View Post
    Here I sit, cheeks a' flexin
    Givin' birth to another Texan

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrisr70 View Post
    Is that the place over there off I-10? My kid goes to hitting over there every once in a while. Great facility.
    Yes, Fairchild. Your boy goes to Julio?

Only the Green!
    Yes, Fairchild. Your boy goes to Julio?
    Its been a while, but yes. Whenever he gets a hitch I can't work out I take him over there. I like Julio's style a lot. Several of my boys on our tournament team have used him the last couple of years.

Only the Green!
    If you're getting that into it (with lessons and all) you need to come over to my casa and see the cage I've got in the backyard. I bet you have enough room at your casa to put one up and everything you need you can order online from Lowes or Home Depot (except for the batters mat and net).

Only the Green!
    Funny side story. A buddy of mine's 7 year old is on some kind of fancy tee ball team. The coach gave them a contact for a hitting coach that gives lessons for $50.00 per hour (or something). The guy was a hitting coach in the MLB and interim manager of the Marlins. My buddy mentioned it to his wife, who flipped out and thought it was kinda ridiculous for hitting lessons for tee ball kids.

She mentioned it in front of her father. Her dad's response wasn't it wasn't more ridiculous than all the cheerleading lessons he paid for. The kid is getting hitting lessons.

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by El General View Post
    Funny side story. A buddy of mine's 7 year old is on some kind of fancy tee ball team. The coach gave them a contact for a hitting coach that gives lessons for $50.00 per hour (or something). The guy was a hitting coach in the MLB and interim manager of the Marlins. My buddy mentioned it to his wife, who flipped out and thought it was kinda ridiculous for hitting lessons for tee ball kids.

She mentioned it in front of her father. Her dad's response wasn't it wasn't more ridiculous than all the cheerleading lessons he paid for. The kid is getting hitting lessons.
    7 seems a little young to me unless Dad has absolutely ZERO clue on hitting fundamentals. Although My kid's instructor had to un-screw some of the things I did with him when he was little so to each his own I guess.

Only the Green!
    7 years old and still playing tee-ball? No wonder he needs coaching
    went by Shoe-Pik on TOS

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kook View Post
    7 years old and still playing tee-ball? No wonder he needs coaching
    I didn't even think about that part......

Cool Club
    Das funny!

Cool Club
    Neither boys are playing baseball this year. They are doing track! So much less time for us so it is a win. It will also work on explosiveness for them.