Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuck choke tube?

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kook View Post
    Hey Einstein, aren't all problems best avoided??

Not true.

I refer you too "If you have an erection that last for 4 hours or more."

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by t mac 3 View Post
    Not this stupid shit...........Again!!!!!

For the love of all that is holy please DO NOT attempt to buy a new vehicle, get seat covers, or switch to mud tires, and by all means let the people that hunt with you or the folks that are near you when you handle a fire arm know about this thread.

There should be a question on the HIP certification that ask if you have ever had to ask on the internet, how to get a choke tube unstuck.
    If you answer yes............. No License.
    For real.

First thing I did was check post date.
    despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems --Ryan Job

Only the Green!
    Gallon of berrymans chemtool b12. Heat is such a touchy issue since it can weaken the metal etc.
    Plumbers trick, try to tighten it a touch before backing it out.
    Note:*=Satire

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensammy View Post
    Heat.
    He's busy washing his new truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kook View Post
    Run it over to Stancos house.
    I'll need about 5 weeks.

But thats what I did, I threw my Landpride cutter in the freezer then torched it. Wham-o, bolt broke free.
    google blue waffle

Only the Green!
    12ga? Send me the barrel and I will get it out with this gizmo

100 Straight Products CSP Stuck Choke Tube tool. I have yet to find one it wouldn't remove.

No charge for you assclowns

If you are going to do the heat soak method, skip Kroil and buy a can of Break Away. Makes Kroil look like cough syrup. Last 20ga one I go out soaked a week in Kroil with no results, one day in Break Away and it came out by hand.
    Last edited by Orphanedcowboy; 02-17-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphanedcowboy View Post

100 Straight Products CSP Stuck Choke Tube tool. I have yet to find one it wouldn't remove.

If you are going to do the heat soak method, skip Kroil and buy a can of Break Away. Makes Kroil look like cough syrup. Last 20ga one I go out soaked a week in Kroil with no results, one day in Break Away and it came out by hand.
    That's because the Kroil oil had done all the hard work.

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphanedcowboy View Post

PM me your address if you're serious.

Only the Green!
    Not a bad price.

https://www.100straight.com/products/choketube.htm

I call those a slide pull. Had a homemade one I used to pull out the bronze bushings in a couple of my older go devil's.
    Note:*=Satire

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by duckpond View Post
    That's because the Kroil oil had done all the hard work.
    You are not the first to say that.

The Kroil was as clean and clear as the day I put it in the jar, the Break Away was rusty looking after less than a day in the jar with the barrel.

Only the Green!
    Here is the post I did over on Shotgun World about it

Quote Originally Posted by Darryle

Buy yourself a can of Break Away.

Back story on this stuck choke, I bought this Auto-5 Magnum 20 knowing it had a stuck choke tube, full disclosure by the seller, hoping that the worst case scenario was I would send it to Mike Orlen and have him remove it.

From the day it arrived, I would heat it up and put it in a small plastic jar filled with Kroil. I would do this 3-4 times a day some days. I had a co-worker tell me he once bought his dad a can of Break Away to use to remove some old plow bolts. He said his dad would not buy or use anything but Break Away from that point on and usually kept the stuff locked away or hidden out.

I ordered a can, it arrived yesterday and immediately I poured the Kroil back into its original can and then cleaned and filled the jar up with Break Away, heated up the barrel and put it in the jar. I came home from work this morning and pulled the barrel out and the Break Away was rusty orange colored and the outside of the barrel was covered with what looked like grit. I put the barrel in the vise blocks and tapped in the extractor and barely turned it and pop, I then screwed it out by hand with some effort, but nonetheless by hand.

I really like Kroil, but I am flabbergasted at how well this stuff worked. I have me a new favorite penetrating oil, I just need to validate it was actually the Break Away and not just a combination of time, heat and penetrant.

Cool Club
    Stupid can be expensive, get a new shotgun.
    This space for rent.

Cool Club
    OC- it very well may have been the combination of the two chemicals.

Kroil is the thinnest penetrating oil (CRC knockerloose is a blatant copy down to the molecular structure). It doesn't have a lot of chemicals designed to attack rust or corrosion.

Using the two together may have been the key
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    Pat, You can have a damn horsecock sammich for all I care. Dont come cryin to me all hungry and whining you ungrateful redbone Beauregard parish illegitimate git of a pulpwooder and a truck stop hoe. Lucky for you that Mr. n Mrs. Wells took you in after finding you in a bar ditch.

Cool Club
    Betcha don't do that again.
    Custodis Mortalis

I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.

- Jeremiah 31:33

Running 87 actually had a good post, yall could learn something from it!!!
    That's freaking clever.
    Guys pretty smart

Double Banded
    I had a stuck IC tube in a mossberg 500 one time. Just left it in there permanently. I no longer tighten chokes with a wrench. I hand tighten them. Check tightness throughout a hunt. Lube with gun lube whenever I put a few drops of lube on the rest of the gun, which is every few hunts. No more stuck tubes.
    TEAM CWS

Double Banded
    Prevention is the key. Not saying that it's a person's fault, cause it's easy to forget about the tube when cleaning the barrel, but I use choke tube lube and have never had one stick on me. Ditto on the extended tubes. That's all I use, hand tighten, and regularly check during a hunt (fingers around the side and not over the barrel )
    The purpose of the Constitution is to limit the power of the Federal Government......not the American people.

Only the Green!
    To the OP, you get the tube out yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    I was so wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    No f'ing way I'm climbing up on that bitch. I've since met a guy.

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hilljack View Post
    OC- it very well may have been the combination of the two chemicals.

Kroil is the thinnest penetrating oil (CRC knockerloose is a blatant copy down to the molecular structure). It doesn't have a lot of chemicals designed to attack rust or corrosion.

Using the two together may have been the key
    I am not intelligent enough to know. I first learned about Kroil in 1990 when a salesman came in the machine shop as I was trying to figure out how to get a broken tap out of a $2000 Brodix big block Chevrolet head. He handed me a bare metal can and said drill it out. I looked at him like he was nuts. I set it up on a Bridgeport mill and used a HSS drill bit, nothing special, sprayed the tap and the drill bit and proceeded to drill right thru it. I told him if it would help get out some broken manifold bolts, I'd buy 5 cases of the stuff.

I have had a long relationship with Kroil, but I am enamored with Break Away and I have used it one a few stuck bolts and it does appear to be better at penetrating severely rusted nuts and bolts. It just doesn't have the pleasant smell of Kroil.

Only the Green!
    just leave the choke tube in and enjoy the gun.
    personally I been shooting the skeet tube for at leat 10 years out of my gun and it's a killer. it probly won't ever come out if I tried.

SR Hunter
    Either live with the choke that is in it or get another barrel. It all by coming off without a saw.

SR Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenheadless View Post
    To the OP, you get the tube out yet?
    No. I'm going to order some of the break away and try it, but if that doesn't work, I'm taking it to a gunsmith...I'm tired of messing with it.

I haven't put heat on it...it's an a400 extreme with the camo coating that I assume will burn.

I probably cleaned the gun twice in two years and never pulled the choke tube out...if it ever comes out, I'll try to remember to take out more than every couple years.