Thread: Quad up in the mountains question

Double Banded

Quad up in the mountains question

I have a quad I want to use this year trout fishing up in the mountains of Colorado this Summer. I am at 3,000 feet elevation here in Lubbock. Will be at 9,000+ up there. I hear you have to tune them differently because of the thinner air. Do I take my chances as is? Haul it to a local place and tell them what my plans are and hope for the best they get it right? I have a polaris 450. Suggestions from you elk hunters? Thanks, B

Cool Club
    Take a couple extra spark plugs and a jet one size smaller.
    google blue waffle

Only the Green!
    If it's carbed yes it will need adjusting. If fuel injection no. Some carbs have an altitude adjustment. Owners manual.
    Note:*=Satire

Cool Club
    rent a donkey...rebsbud might hook ya up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    The gayest thing has to be sig lining your refuge post count.
    Total Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AgDuckHunter View Post
    I got rear-ended by a drunk old man when I was in college (and he was going in and out fast)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther View Post
    but I love the sausage.

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Duckman View Post
    If it's carbed yes it will need adjusting. If fuel injection no. Some carbs have an altitude adjustment. Owners manual.
    Mark I believe you have to run a different resistance plug. Not sure if hotter or colder though.

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by swing View Post
    i laughed

Jr Hunter
    I re-jetted mine the first few times we went to Colorado hunting. Never messed with the plugs. The last few times we went I never messed with it and it ran fine. It might run a bit rich and you'll notice some power loss (which it'll have even if you rejet), but it's not a big deal. My Kaw was a pain to rejet.....had to take half the dam bike apart to get to the carb....which is why I quit doing it. If you do re-jet, make dam sure you fatten it back up when you get back..... running rich ok, running lean not so much. YMMV.
    Last edited by whitecrow; 02-17-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Duckman View Post
    A quick google and I see where some say higher octane for altitudes. Im not sure how detonation is an issue but it may be.
    google blue waffle

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by swing View Post

Take all five in case you need back up. If someone here on the forum weren't so pussy whipped you could probably work a deal for a loan of a llama.
    “We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.”

― Ayn Rand

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by Markstanco View Post
    A quick google and I see where some say higher octane for altitudes. Im not sure how detonation is an issue but it may be.
    Higher octane doesn't mean more BTU usually less actually. I see it more as a leaning the motor without re-jetting.

Cool Club
    I've carried atvs to Colorado and back at least 5 or 6 times. No bs Polaris and Yamaha carb engines were the only ones with issues. Highest at the ranch is about 9800 feet.

Yammys hard to start and Polaris wouldn't run for sheet. Honda carbs kept pluggin.

The last trip we took 2 fuel injection Rangers and a Honda. The only difference i noticed in my Ranger was a little less power. Honda did fine.

I've heard about changing the clutch on belt driven stuff is easier and eliminates it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems --Ryan Job

Cool Club
    Going to Colorado to trout fish = going to Colorado to legally smoke weed and stare at waterfalls in a Speedo.

Don't pull that trout fishing alibi on us, pal.

Double Banded
    Quote Originally Posted by MUDDOG View Post
    Going to Colorado to trout fish = going to Colorado to legally smoke weed and stare at waterfalls in a Speedo.

Don't pull that trout fishing alibi on us, pal.
    I got a good laugh out of that one... I need a quad because my lady fishing partners are going to quit me because of the long hikes... lack of O2 wears em out, and the long hikes decrease fishing time when we actually get there....and they want hot tubs and cold drinks at the end of the night so camping is out I want easy fish so I'm trying to "compromise".... thanks for the info gentleman

Double Banded
    What trout are you trying to target? Cutthroat or brookies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "You hold onto friends by keeping your heart a little softer than your head."

"Friendship shows us who we really are."

Texas A&M University '97

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Snow Goose View Post
    What trout are you trying to target? Cutthroat or brookies?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have Dane's older Yamaha big bear and it's been to CO and NM - the only issues I had with it were starting in the cold (sub freezing) temperatures at altitude. Generally run a lighter less viscous oil than you would down here - got an oil change and the thing worked fine after that.