Thread: Reloaders...headspace or ammo?

Cool Club

Reloaders...headspace or ammo?

Since this is now a rifle forum. Spent a couple hours on the range this morning preparing for a hunt. Being I haven't shot my ruger American off an official bench yet I wanted to see what it would do.

Previously I have shot the same ammo and got decent groups off the hood or tailgate . I was even able to free hand a squirrels head off at about 40 yards with the suppressor hanging off the end. Furthest I have shot was about 85 yards and managed 3/4".

Today (after no changes in rifle) cold bore shot was about 1" high which I expected. After that it would do not more than 3 or 4 inches at 100.

Then I started looking at the brass and found the the primers had backed out on about half.

All of these are reloads from able ammo with 55 grn soft points that I had a surplus of.

I did shoot 5 of another brand which were factory and didn't see any issue. With that I assume ammo but I haven't seen this out of an AR or single shot nef.

Next question is if it's ammo is it worth trying to contact able being I have probably 800 rounds left
    despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems --Ryan Job

Noob
    It looks like the primer pushed past the crimp and didn't allow the primer to push back in. My guess is these loads are higher pressure than the factory loads.

Cool Club
    stretched primer pocket or over pressure.
    Do I play golf? NO SIR, golf is for folks that can't kill ducks and can't catch fish!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdavis View Post
    Here I sit, cheeks a' flexin
    Givin' birth to another Texan

Cool Club
    The primers that aren't backed out don't really show over pressure signs like I've seen in the past.

I'm hoping since these are once fired it's primer pockets

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Only the Green!
    See that little ring right around your primer strikes? Looks like it's a pressure issue. Not so much that it is flattening your primers but that can be an early sign. Couple that with some of your primers backing out I'd sure suspect pressure more than just a few loose primer pockets.

Unless i am seeing that wrong. It's hard to tell from those pics.

Cool Club
    Do you have any pictures of it prior to shooting?

Did you try the stuff I sent?

Jr Hunter
    could be excessive head space, or high pressure, or if its a semi-auto it could be a timing issue

from the pictures of where the firing pin is hitting the primer it appears that the hole your firing pin travels thru is larger than it should be, therefore it's allowing the primer to travel back around the firing pin into the hole where the firing pin came from. this is very evident since it happens to your factory ammo as well as the reloads, this is unrelated to the primer backing out tho.
    Last edited by GSPmutt; 02-17-2017 at 02:39 PM. Reason: add more details
    Larry

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. -Dude

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
    See that little ring right around your primer strikes? Looks like it's a pressure issue. Not so much that it is flattening your primers but that can be an early sign. Couple that with some of your primers backing out I'd sure suspect pressure more than just a few loose primer pockets.

Unless i am seeing that wrong. It's hard to tell from those pics.
    aka primer flow and there is a little of that but that can be normal
    Do I play golf? NO SIR, golf is for folks that can't kill ducks and can't catch fish!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdavis View Post
    Here I sit, cheeks a' flexin
    Givin' birth to another Texan

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Do you have any pictures of it prior to shooting?

Did you try the stuff I sent?
    No pictures of brass prior to shooting. I should have taken a better picture of the bottom to show the primers better. IMO the ones that didnt back out dont show any over pressure signs

I meant to take the box of stuff from you and forgot it.

Been meaning to ask if you had any want for some 300 brass? Gemtec and now a box of remington. I saved it thinking Id buy some dies and powder and it hasnt happened.

Quote Originally Posted by GSPmutt View Post
    could be excessive head space, or high pressure, or if its a semi-auto it could be a timing issue

from the pictures of where the firing pin is hitting the primer it appears that the hole your firing pin travels thru is larger than it should be, therefore it's allowing the primer to travel back around the firing pin into the hole where the firing pin came from. this is very evident since it happens to your factory ammo as well as the reloads, this is unrelated to the primer backing out tho.
    Its a bolt action

The 3 or 4 rounds of factory I fired didnt have any issues at all.

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
    No pictures of brass prior to shooting. I should have taken a better picture of the bottom to show the primers better. IMO the ones that didnt back out dont show any over pressure signs

I meant to take the box of stuff from you and forgot it.

Been meaning to ask if you had any want for some 300 brass? Gemtec and now a box of remington. I saved it thinking Id buy some dies and powder and it hasnt happened.

Its a bolt action

The 3 or 4 rounds of factory I fired didnt have any issues at all.
    I am good for now but thanks for asking. I just bought 500 rounds of cast lead and brass from Palmetto projectiles. I am going to load up as shit ton of subsonic for when/if I ever get my suppressor.

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    I am good for now but thanks for asking. I just bought 500 rounds of cast lead and brass from Palmetto projectiles. I am going to load up as shit ton of subsonic for when/if I ever get my suppressor.
    I noticed the huge difference in suppressed vs. not today. Shot a few rounds of the .223 suppressed then swapped over to the .204 un suppressed then back to 300 blk suppressed. Well worth the wait

The 204 reminded me how much I like that rifle. Shoots better than I can

Noob
    I have never tried them, but I have heard the mil-spec primers have a thicker cup. If those used mil-spec primers it could be why you don't see flattened primers.

Double Banded
    Thats loose primer pockets.

Only the Green!
    just shoot the cheap steel cased stuff. these ain't olimpic medalists rifle's, lol

Cool Club
    Second date update.

Apparently it's an ammo problem. Shot 75,68 and 55 grain black Hills match I had. Definitely pulled the 3rd 75. Looks like the rifle is gonna want a heavier bullet.

75s on the top, 68s in the middle and 55s. After the 75s I moved the scope for the 68s. Then moved again for 55s. All off a bipod in the bed of the truck.