Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Cast iron steaks

  1. #1
    Double Banded
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    905

    Cast iron steaks

    My grill is out of commission so I'm going to use the turkey fryer and a cast iron skillet. 1.5" ny strips that I got on a crazy sale.
    I've never done steaks in a skillet-- 1 at a time in a 12" or all 3 in a 16"?
    Any tips appreciated !
    Last edited by SteveB; 06-18-2017 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Mistake

  2. #2
    Only the Green!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cen-Tex
    Posts
    4,992
    All three. Fill that thing up.

    Butter in the pan.
    Mid high
    4 min
    Flip
    5 min = mid rare.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ... . -. - / -... -.-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

  3. #3
    Only the Green!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Barrio
    Posts
    4,460
    season to your liking

    30-45 min in oven at 275, till internal is +\- 100 F

    get black skillet 600-700 F

    drop in little olive oil. canola, aunflower, or sesame would be better

    drop steak in, 30 sec each side

    put to side with small pat of butter on top, let rest for 5 min

    Edit: cover steak while resting
    Last edited by Greenheadless; 06-18-2017 at 03:09 PM.

  4. #4
    Only the Green!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Arlington Tx
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenheadless View Post
    season to your liking

    30-45 min in oven at 275, till internal is +\- 100 F

    get black skillet 600-700 F

    drop in little olive oil. canola, aunflower, or sesame would be better

    drop steak in, 30 sec each side

    put to side with small pat of butter on top, let rest for 5 min
    Yup


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Double Banded
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    905
    The only thermometer I have is a probe-- how do I know when the skillet is 600-700?

  6. #6
    Pond Popper
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    'Nolia, TX
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    The only thermometer I have is a probe-- how do I know when the skillet is 600-700?
    Crank the heat to medium/high. drops of water should dance/steam immediately.

  7. #7
    Only the Green!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Onalaska, TX
    Posts
    2,187
    Don't use butter. If u have it hot enough the butter should burn. I don't use anything in pan.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd like to buy him for what he's worth, and sell him for what he thinks he's worth.

  8. #8
    Grape seed oil in the skillet. Has a higher smoke point for searing steak.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Cool Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    9,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Widgeon Kryptonite View Post
    Grape seed oil in the skillet. Has a higher smoke point for searing steak.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Coconut, avocado and pecan oil, too.

  10. #10
    Jr Hunter
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    271
    Butter or oil the steak and not the pan when cooking at that high of heat. The temp of meat will keep the butter or oil from burning. Dry the skillet as much as possible for multiple batches.
    Non-potlicker

  11. #11
    Cool Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    boats-n-hoes TX
    Posts
    8,527
    Quote Originally Posted by DedDuk View Post
    Don't use butter. If u have it hot enough the butter should burn. I don't use anything in pan.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    truth. if doing reverse sear, the steak will have a nice shinny layer of protein/fat sweated out, drop them in the skillet naked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    The gayest thing has to be sig lining your refuge post count.
    Join Date
    05-21-2002
    Total Posts
    19,612


    Quote Originally Posted by AgDuckHunter View Post
    I got rear-ended by a drunk old man when I was in college (and he was going in and out fast)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther View Post
    but I love the sausage.

  12. #12
    Only the Green!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cen-Tex
    Posts
    4,992
    You guys work to hard at this.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ... . -. - / -... -.-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

  13. #13
    Cool Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10,286
    Quote Originally Posted by CJATE View Post
    You guys work to hard at this.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sort of like the blackstone convo

    if I gots to work that hard from breakfast, I'll eat a bowl of cereal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •