Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Southeast TX trip: summary

Cool Club

Southeast TX trip: summary

Went to training at Lake Conroe, stayed at the La Toretta Resort.

Traveling south out of the DFW area, nothing interested me until Centerville. I like that area. Mix of big post oaks and pines. Open fields, rolling hills. Deer could be seen eating along the woods. Probably 9 deer in total, possibly just 8. Good area, I dig it.

Passed through Huntsville (prison town USA) - always sort of depressing to me, but seems a nice enough area with solid pine forests to enjoy. Would not want to live there, though.

Entered Conroe, TX, my first time to spend any time there. The lake looks very nice. Waterfront homes cover most of the shoreline. It came a light rain most days, had a tropical feel to it. Huge trees in the subdivisions (pines, water oaks, cedar, you name it, they had it.) Except spruce and eucalyptus. Otherwise it was a solid tree area and good homes. The Mexican food in this area was top quality. We hit 2 places and both were excellent. Don't ax me which ones, because someone will rag on them and tell me XYZ is much better and you must be a real loser, blah blah.

The humidity was off the chain, as expected. But the daytime highs were not oven hot like north Texas. Your skin and face did not catch fire, unlike up here. Plus the evenings tended to cool down nicely with a gulf breeze coming off the ocean. This made it tolerable to go outside for a nice 3 mile run, which I didn't do, and never do, but whatever. If you're into that kind of thing it could be done without being hauled off in an ambulance like jogging in north Texas.

They also had deer eating in the neighborhoods around town, which was pretty ok in my book. You can't find a deer anywhere in the DFW area, eating in subdivisions.

Overall, I give the place a 7.5 on a scale of 10.

Double Banded
    El Bosque?

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by MUDDOG View Post

Traveling south out of the DFW area, nothing interested me until Centerville. I like that area. Mix of big post oaks and pines. Open fields, rolling hills. Deer could be seen eating along the woods. Probably 9 deer in total, possibly just 8. Good area, I dig it.

Passed through Huntsville (prison town USA) - always sort of depressing to me, but seems a nice enough area with solid pine forests to enjoy. Would not want to live there, though.

Entered Conroe, TX, my first time to spend any time there. The lake looks very nice. Waterfront homes cover most of the shoreline. It came a light rain most days, had a tropical feel to it. Huge trees in the subdivisions (pines, water oaks, cedar, you name it, they had it.) Except spruce and eucalyptus. Otherwise it was a solid tree area and good homes. The Mexican food in this area was top quality. We hit 2 places and both were excellent. Don't ax me which ones, because someone will rag on them and tell me XYZ is much better and you must be a real loser, blah blah.

The humidity was off the chain, as expected. But the daytime highs were not oven hot like north Texas. Your skin and face did not catch fire, unlike up here. Plus the evenings tended to cool down nicely with a gulf breeze coming off the ocean. This made it tolerable to go outside for a nice 3 mile run, which I didn't do, and never do, but whatever. If you're into that kind of thing it could be done without being hauled off in an ambulance like jogging in north Texas.

They also had deer eating in the neighborhoods around town, which was pretty ok in my book. You can't find a deer anywhere in the DFW area, eating in subdivisions.

did they move Conroe?

Cool Club
    Don't start in on me Panther. It felt to me like a gulf breeze coming off the ocean. Out of the south every day about sundown. And it smelled like pelicans and coconuts. So, yes. They must have moved it.

Only the Green!
    Don't start in on me Panther. It felt to me like a gulf breeze coming off the ocean. Out of the south every day about sundown. And it smelled like pelicans and coconuts. So, yes. They must have moved it.
    That was pigeons and petroleum flares you was smelling from Houston.

Seriously, sounds like a good trip.

Cool Club
    The heat has not been so bad with the showers drifting around. The worst is o get a shower, then the sun come right back out.
    Custodis Mortalis

I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.

- Jeremiah 31:33

Running 87 actually had a good post, yall could learn something from it!!!
    That's freaking clever.
    Guys pretty smart

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' 87 View Post
    The worst is o get a shower, then the sun come right back out.
    Which here lately is every damn day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Cool Club

Where to start with the wrong ass shit in this post. DFW much better to run or be outdoors than stinky town. No deer in subdivisions? I have seen deer in Grapevine, Cedar Hill, and in Dallas proper in the last two weeks. Ocean Breeze... are you on ****ing crack?
    Politicians, Police, Big Pharma and Drug Cartels all agree, the War On Drugs (War on Freedom) is great for business.

Only the Green!
    If you didn't eat at the Lakeside Resturant at LT, you should have, it is damn fine dinning.

As for Mexican food places, you didn't eat at the best one near the lake, not enough street cred to get in the door, they would have just left you standing outside in line like you were trying to get into the Roxbury in 1992.

Oh that and the last time we had a Gulf Breeze on Conroe we called it Ike.

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther View Post
    did they move Conroe?

Glad you enjoyed it. I can't say I like anything about cornrow, but to each his own.

Only the Green!
    Centerville.
    Hometown of one of the greatest blues men of all time.
    What the Duece? - Stewart Gilligan Griffin

SR Hunter
    You didn't mention the resort but I guess they must have upgraded the place from when it was the shithole call Del Lago.

Cool Club
    4/10 (based on MD standards, bonus point for pointing out there are cedars in Texas)
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    The gayest thing has to be sig lining your refuge post count.
    Total Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AgDuckHunter View Post
    I got rear-ended by a drunk old man when I was in college (and he was going in and out fast)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther View Post
    but I love the sausage.

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
    You didn't mention the resort but I guess they must have upgraded the place from when it was the shithole call Del Lago.
    Not so much. Place needs a major overhaul. Has some of the right things in place, but crummy management/spending on upgrades.

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    Where to start with the wrong ass shit in this post. DFW much better to run or be outdoors than stinky town. No deer in subdivisions? I have seen deer in Grapevine, Cedar Hill, and in Dallas proper in the last two weeks. Ocean Breeze... are you on ****ing crack?
    I don't get out very often, nor smoke weed. I need to do more of both so I can see more deer and get in shape while chasing them away.

Cool Club
    I don't get out very often, nor smoke weed. I need to do more of both so I can see more deer and get in shape while chasing them away.
    You definitely drop a lot of acid from your posts.
    Politicians, Police, Big Pharma and Drug Cartels all agree, the War On Drugs (War on Freedom) is great for business.

Cool Club
    I've got your back on this MUDDOG.

Yes you can, and do, get an ocean breeze in Conroe, even up to Centerville. It's not predictable and it runs in cycles. It's caused by intense heating of the land inland from the Gulf. As the hot air rises it sucks in cooler air in from the Gulf. This usually arrives around 6:00pm if you get it at all. The closer you are to the Gulf the better your chance, but I've caught it many times in Centerville.

You can also get a much smaller effect from a body of water like Lake Conroe.

A more extreme example was when the America's Cup race was held out of Fremantle, Australia in the 1980's. There the mornings are typically calm, but hundreds of miles inland the desert heats up to intolerable levels and as the hot air rises it brings in the cooler sea air and by afternoon it's ripping 30-40 knots.
    “We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.”

― Ayn Rand

Cool Club
    Its out of the South in NE Texas as well mostly in the summer.

Except right now, it is from the NE which smells like arkansas and chicken houses
    google blue waffle

Cool Club
    Conversely we will often get a northerly breeze just prior to sunrise.
    Custodis Mortalis

I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.

- Jeremiah 31:33

Running 87 actually had a good post, yall could learn something from it!!!
    That's freaking clever.
    Guys pretty smart

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by AvianQuest View Post
    I've got your back on this MUDDOG.

Yes you can, and do, get an ocean breeze in Conroe, even up to Centerville. It's not predictable and it runs in cycles. It's caused by intense heating of the land inland from the Gulf. As the hot air rises it sucks in cooler air in from the Gulf. This usually arrives around 6:00pm if you get it at all. The closer you are to the Gulf the better your chance, but I've caught it many times in Centerville.

You can also get a much smaller effect from a body of water like Lake Conroe.

A more extreme example was when the America's Cup race was held out of Fremantle, Australia in the 1980's. There the mornings are typically calm, but hundreds of miles inland the desert heats up to intolerable levels and as the hot air rises it brings in the cooler sea air and by afternoon it's ripping 30-40 knots.
    ^^^ See I told ya'll so. Thanks for having my back. Just don't grab onto it or get any closer.