Thread: Guide question

Guide question

What's the normal run down on a guided trip? What I mean is, what's normally included? I know some include lodging and meals. I'm looking at starting my own and wanted to know what to provide my customers like ammo, cleaning birds, or anything of the sorts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SR Hunter
    I haven't seen many (if any) in the states that provide ammo and not many clean birds either. Most its just the hunt and the gear needed for the hunt. If you are hunting via boat, you meet at the ramp, or their HQ.
    November 18th 1999

It's really funny Cap. It's Afghanistanimation.

Team RNFK- Got stingers?
    Team OTM - Merganser Chapter

Texas A&M University
    Class of 2000

Shotshell Information Page

Cool Club
    Depends on what type of hunt. Private land either day hunts (drive up) to full board. Public usually meet and load up. No services other than the hunt.
    When in doubt, you can always pee on it.
    Neil Camp-Works for me, you technological Pygmy.

Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking but didn't want to be missing something most people offer.

I can tell you what NOT to do. We went on a "guided Goose hunt" Dec 23 and it was not what we, as experienced waterfowl hunters, would consider a good hunt. The guides were nice but the landowner decided to take his kids hunting 150 yards behind us and was sky blasting. He literally ruined at least 6 chances for us to get groups. So, if people are paying you to hut on your land, they should take priority. Secondly, know how to call geese. They're not quite like ducks and if you call them like ducks you're not going to get people the birds they are paying you to have the opportunity to get. Third, call the shots. As guests we are trying to be respectful and let you dictate the shots. If we watch a flight go over our heads because you're either a) not paying attention to the birds or b) talking too much to the other guide to tell us to take it, we are not going to be happy customers. Fourth, if you tell someone youre only going to have their group and you add 3 others hunters, it is bad business. Fifth, of you are the guide, don't take one of the geese we shot so you can get a nice mount out of it, do that on your own time, not ours. And lastly, if all of the above happens, don't then expect your clients to pick up the decoys after the crappy hunt, it just gives us more time to stew over spending $800 on the aforementioned treatment. Oh, and we had to put out the decoys and weren't given any direction on where to put them so it wasn't a good spread that would attract the birds. This all really happened and it was a crappy hunt. People will have loyalty to a good guide and first impressions mean a LOT. Bad publicity travels fast in hunting circles, so does good publicity. You never know who is out there and what connections they might have so always try and meet their needs. Good Luck!!

Cool Club
    Say man sounds like you got what you paird for. Maybe you should have put out a j hook and shoot when you had geese in range.
    Do I play golf? NO SIR, golf is for folks that can't kill ducks and can't catch fish!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdavis View Post
    Here I sit, cheeks a' flexin
    Givin' birth to another Texan

Pond Popper

Guide question

Ya not a big fan when you pay money and have to set the spread of decoys. Maybe I had the option not too but it felt like we were asked indirectly