Thread: Turkey school with the legend

Cool Club

Turkey school with the legend

So the fam and I spent the weekend chasing turkeys with the thunder chicken guru. And when I say chasing, that’s what we did. I think my boot soles need rotating after all the hiking! To say it was an experience is an understatement. First, the ranch is one of those places anyone would be lucky to visit and its truly an awesome piece of dirt that some would dream to own (myself included). The weekend gave me an entire new view on hunting turkeys. I can easily see why so many, Byron included, get it in their blood. A herd of birds gobbling away at 30 yards Jakes or not is a sight/sound to behold. Im also convinced if a turkey could smell like a deer they’d be impossible to kill from the ground.

The hunt was mainly for my wife to kill her first turkey and DP tried like crazy. There was definitely opportunities for that to happen but the cards just didn’t fall right. I think the biggest issue was trying to fool birds with 4 people on the ground. I should have seen that coming and Ill take the blame for that. We still had birds at less than 20 feet, they just came on the wrong. She managed a shot at a tom Saturday but apparently didn’t see the brush between her and the turkey. Another gobbler was close enough to see blink and again, he didn’t step to the right sight of some mesquite. She could have killed a jake Sunday but elected to pass in hopes one of the 5 or 6 other gobbles we were listening to would come in.

It was a pretty dang good time and if the chance comes along Id love to do it again. . I learned A LOT in a couple a days probably just enough to get me in trouble. That said Id drive back down there today if it was possible and Byron would have us. It was a great hunt that we talked about the entire way home. Bird or not it was worth the price of admission to spend that time with the family in the outdoors.

Thanks again for putting up with us Byron! It was a pleasure on all fronts and good luck in Mexico

I think I know every rock on this road and junior taking a break while DP and momma go chase a group

Last edited by Quackerbox; 04-16-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems --Ryan Job

Cool Club
    Good stuff. They're great hosts, ain't they?

Only the Green!
    Thanks Shane,
    Guys since this was really the Mrs.'s hunt, kudos to her. She is one of the hardest hunting women I have met. She was up to whatever plan I came up with. She can slip through the rocks and brush quieter and better than 75% of the men I have hunted with, I actually told her this. It was pleasure to act as a guide. Never a complaint, Sat & Sunday both we had about 5 miles of walking in.

She don't do ticks.
    We were sitting under some brush Sat afternoon. Mrs. Q said " there is something crawling down my neck and between my shoulder blades."

I asked "are you scared of spiders?"

"no"

" OK, your good then"

Hope she/ ya'll can do it again next year.

Cool Club
    Good work. I need someone to school me on turkey killing.

I am real good at getting them within 40-50 yards.

Double Banded
    Did y'all see any rattlesnakes?

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Agent View Post
    Yes she did.
    In the freezer coiled up.

Cool Club
    Good stuff right there!

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by AgDuckHunter View Post
    Good stuff. They're great hosts, ain't they?
    Mr. Byron can tell a story or two. Wife and I laughed and son wants his truck

Quote Originally Posted by duckpond View Post
    Thanks Shane,
    Guys since this was really the Mrs.'s hunt, kudos to her. She is one of the hardest hunting women I have met. She was up to whatever plan I came up with. She can slip through the rocks and brush quieter and better than 75% of the men I have hunted with, I actually told her this. It was pleasure to act as a guide. Never a complaint, Sat & Sunday both we had about 5 miles of walking in.

She don't do ticks.
    We were sitting under some brush Sat afternoon. Mrs. Q said " there is something crawling down my neck and between my shoulder blades."

I asked "are you scared of spiders?"

"no"

" OK, your good then"

Hope she/ ya'll can do it again next year.
    She mentioned that. I'm pretty proud of her as if I hadn't said that before.

We just finished supper and she's actually on the phone right now trying to get a hunt for her and her dad before the season closes. Either way, if the deal goes thru on the ranch you talked about pencil us in for spring 2019. I'll gladly sit in those oaks along that creek again. I found a tree with the perfect lean for a nap

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Agent View Post

As mentioned 2 in the freezer. One reported to have 21 buttons but came from freer. The freezer didn't get opened much

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cool Club
    To add. Duckpond if at any point there's something we can do for y'all, you've got the number. Don't hesitate to ask

Only the Green!
    Turkey hunting with 4 is really a challenge. Without fail they always come up on the non shooter side.

Cool Club
    Looks like an awesome time.

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
    To add. Duckpond if at any point there's something we can do for y'all, you've got the number. Don't hesitate to ask

Hell's yeah Byron,,,,,,,head on over to Shane's county and start doing hood rat shit. When you get busted pull out the biz/get out of jail card.

Cool Club
    I like Panthers line of thinking.
    What the Duece? - Stewart Gilligan Griffin

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther View Post
    Hell's yeah Byron,,,,,,,head on over to Shane's county and start doing hood rat shit. When you get busted pull out the biz/get out of jail card.
    He won't need it. The Da does it already. Dudes killing people or themselves while on 5k bonds for murder, agg robbery etc all the time. Hit a robbery suspect on thursday who is due in court on the 20th for..... another robbery

Last edited by Quackerbox; 04-17-2018 at 07:33 AM.