Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 years old 2nd DWI

Cool Club

20 years old 2nd DWI

Bad DWI at that. Ditch to ditch at 70 mph, ran over two mail box, couldn't much stand up. Young man is likely an alcoholic at 20. I fully expected to see a middle aged guy, looking like he was sixty, get out of the truck. Nope, a young man staggered out.

He took full responsibility though, "I did it. Nobody to blame but me."

Another take away. One if my young officers schooled me on a spot in the law. Commiting a crime while possessing a fire arm is a crime. The young man had a Marlin 30-30 in his possession while committing DWI. My LT. even double checked with the DA.

I struggled about whether or not to charge him with that one. In the end I decided to let it go through. I know my county pretty good. It will be used as plea leverage and the normal routine is to force the DWIs into treatment. I figure that's what the young man needs. If he won't get himself help, the system will hang the risk of jail over his head to coerce him into treatment.

I got mixed feelings on it. There is no perfect answer.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Custodis Mortalis

I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.

- Jeremiah 31:33

Running 87 actually had a good post, yall could learn something from it!!!
    That's freaking clever.
    Guys pretty smart

Cool Club
    What if he kills a member of your family?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cool Club
    Sounds like my roommate +20 years ago. Flipped one truck, first DWI. Wrapped another around a tree, second DWI. Even has the blow in the tube ignition that he somehow defeated. This all happened in about a 1 year period.

Cool Club
    I grew up with a family, 3 brothers and a cousin that lived with them. Four boys total in middle class suburbia. In a five year span, the four of them racked up 12 dwi’s, were let go/brought home three times, and totalled four cars. All of this happened before any of them turned 25. The cousin is now very successful, one of the brothers does well for himself, the other two are absolute losers.

Cool Club
    Some people don't learn. I have an uncle that has had 3 or 4 I cant remember. His last one was a few years ago. He spent 6 months in and then was on home arrest for a while. I am not sure if he still has the tube to drive his car. He still drinks like a fish he will never learn.

My wife has an uncle that has had 3 also. He spent an entire year in jail. They had to go through his house and sell everything (he didn't have much). He now lives with my wives grandma that is in her 90's. He is a bad alcoholic. Apparently he comes home and sits on the couch and pisses it. They bought her a new couch recently and he wont use it, which is good. My wife said she just hopes her grandma isn't around when he gets caught again or worse yet hurts someone.

I am not angle. I have gotten away with it more times than I should have. I will still have a beer or so and drive but nothing crazy because it just isn't worth it. Uber is to easy these days for when we know we are going to hit the town.

Cool Club
    Friend of mine had five or six, never went to jail. Totaled out a few cars. Had his brother cover for another one he should have gotten. Brother got to the wreck site before the cops. Dude ended being a very successful alcohol counselor thingy. Just couldn't handle the drinking
    went by Shoe-Pik on TOS

Cool Club
    I probably saved a buddy from his first after he flipped his truck at about 21. He later got 2 on his own, one just after his dad committed suicide. Now hes 40 years old, lives alone in a rental home who I assume his mom pays for since she essentially gives him an allowance being he doesn't work.

More than one of his former friends attempted to help him out it. He wont take it. Only time I see him is walking about of the same store with a case of beer
    despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems --Ryan Job

Pond Popper
    Next door neighbor had 5,got 4 and 5 while waiting to go to trial for #3,they told him he had a drinking and driving problem,he said no, I have a drinking and cop problem! Heard he got 5 years, a year for each DWI.

SR Hunter
    Got a friend who breaks out in cuffs when he drinks. He's in TDC now. Should be getting out soon. Prolly go back again.

Only the Green!
    College room mate got #2 with a pistol in the truck. It was used in lpart of the plea. He gives up rights/possession of fire arm and the fine or penaltie was reduced.

He got 2 more after that. Never spent a day in prison, just the night in jail. He has changed some and is very successful in his business. Guess you have to be though if you are going to pay those kind of legal bills.

Only the Green!
    Knew of an old drunk who had 7-10 DWI's, no jail.....finally kilt a family. He's in for a few now
    The Wonder

He Hate Me

Double Banded
    No sympathy after the 1st one. I have 3 family members who were killed by drunk drivers.

Cool Club
    This is crazy data, but its been said that the average 1st DWI arrestee has driven while intoxicated up to 100 times before he/she actually got caught.

So if you factor that in, coupled with his 2nd DWI and only 20 years old....

hell yes he's an alcoholic

Double Banded
    North Texas...As close to OK as I can get
    Quote Originally Posted by MUDDOG View Post
    This is crazy data, but its been said that the average 1st DWI arrestee has driven while intoxicated up to 100 times before he/she actually got caught.

So if you factor that in, coupled with his 2nd DWI and only 20 years old....

hell yes he's an alcoholic
    I would say at 20 years old, he just hasn't got very good at it yet, and got caught well under the statistical 200 times that your numbers would imply.

Cool Club
    That's smart reasoning, Brandon.

Probably true, but this kid is very likely still an alcoholic. Or becoming one quickly. lol

Double Banded
    North Texas...As close to OK as I can get
    That's smart reasoning, Brandon.

Probably true, but this kid is very likely still an alcoholic. Or becoming one quickly. lol
    Without a doubt.

Cool Club
    Seeing we are telling stories.....

I sat on a jury for a guy's 3rd DWI conviction (felony).

He was bonded out on murder when caught the charge. He beat the hell out of his GF, pushed her into a large fish tank, she cut her femoral artery and blead out. He called the amberlamps about 12 hours later.

Apparantly same DA trying the case on the murder charge that hadn't made it to court yet. Took the stand and started verbally assaulting the DA that he was being framed for the murder charge.

Needless to say, deliberations was a little unsettling because the judge wouldn't allow us to discuss defendants the "murder" discussion from the stand when discussing the DWI case.
    Last edited by Greenheadless; 02-11-2019 at 10:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    I was so wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    No f'ing way I'm climbing up on that bitch. I've since met a guy.
    Gay party recap story:

Out of my peripheral vision, I see....... a black guy bent over, plugging in cables. I didn't want to get excited right away.......

Only the Green!
    My college roommate got one a block from our house. He was real drunk. Claimed he was changing the radio station but instead turned off his headlights. Got off on some technicality regarding the field sobriety test in flip flops. His mother made it VERY clear to me that I was not to bail him out of jail. He got to spend the night.

Maybe dbagg will chime in with a few other good stories. God damn we had fun in those days.

MD story complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pond Popper
    Had a local guy get 3 in one day back when they would ticket you and release you. Guy that works for me has had 10.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by bullsprig View Post
    Had a local guy get 3 in one day back when they would ticket you and release you. Guy that works for me has had 10.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    He has a valid DL? Does he still drink? And drive?