Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 275

Thread: 2 barges loose on Arkansas river

  1. #21
    Cool Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Arlington Tx
    Posts
    7,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayourat View Post
    I'm not sure it crumpled that much and is probably putting a serious strain on he dam below the water.
    I wonder how deep the water is and if they sank straight down or are vertical against the dam.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #22
    Cool Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    8,832
    Quote Originally Posted by pck View Post
    I wonder how deep the water is and if they sank straight down or are vertical against the dam.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why do wonder that?

  3. #23
    Only the Green!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Waaaay back in the marsh,Tx
    Posts
    2,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
    Why do wonder that?
    They'd increase the pressure on the dam.

  4. #24
    Only the Green!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chooston
    Posts
    3,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayourat View Post
    They'd increase the pressure on the dam.
    Post count, what post count?

  5. #25
    Cool Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Arlington Tx
    Posts
    7,274

    2 barges loose on Arkansas river

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
    Why do wonder that?
    See bayourat below. Could be faulty reasoning. Not an engineer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #26
    Only the Green!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Waaaay back in the marsh,Tx
    Posts
    2,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrisr70 View Post
    Blocking the flow of the gates would increase the pressure.

  7. #27
    Cool Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    8,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrisr70 View Post
    This!!!!

  8. #28
    Cool Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    8,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayourat View Post
    Blocking the flow of the gates would increase the pressure.
    Is that the case? Are the gates blocked?

  9. #29
    Only the Green!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Waaaay back in the marsh,Tx
    Posts
    2,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
    Is that the case? Are the gates blocked?
    You tell me? I'd think so if a barge is turned sideways in front of it. You can see the change in the current downstream after they go down.

  10. #30
    Cool Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    8,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayourat View Post
    You tell me? I'd think so if a barge is turned sideways in front of it. You can see the change in the current downstream after they go down.
    I couldn't say, I haven't been able to see a video yet.

  11. #31
    Cool Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayourat View Post
    I'm not sure it crumpled that much and is probably putting a serious strain on he dam below the water.
    so a barge sunk beside the bottom of that dam is putting more pressure on the dam than the dam itself?

    Think about that a second.



    I guess I should have read the rest of the replies.

  12. #32
    Cool Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Arlington Tx
    Posts
    7,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
    Is that the case? Are the gates blocked?
    Thus my question.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #33
    Cool Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayourat View Post
    You tell me? I'd think so if a barge is turned sideways in front of it. You can see the change in the current downstream after they go down.
    flood gates don't go all the way to the bottom of a dam

    and worse case the spill way comes into play


    as long as they didn't damage on impact that dam should be fine.

  14. #34
    Cool Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    14,513
    Some of you boys ain't too good at physics. If the barge is sideways just under the surface of the water and impeding the flow of the water, said barge WILL increase the pressure on that part of the dam as the water can't go through the barge and has to find a way around.

  15. #35
    Cool Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    8,832
    Quote Originally Posted by AgDuckHunter View Post
    Some of you boys ain't too good at physics. If the barge is sideways just under the surface of the water and impeding the flow of the water, said barge WILL increase the pressure on that part of the dam as the water can't go through the barge and has to find a way around.
    What's this if shit?

  16. #36
    Cool Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    14,513
    See this video at around to 35 second mark.....looks to me like the barge is right under the surface diverting the water around.


  17. #37
    Only the Green!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chooston
    Posts
    3,283
    Quote Originally Posted by AgDuckHunter View Post
    See this video at around to 35 second mark.....looks to me like the barge is right under the surface diverting the water around.

    Yeah, that's gonna fugg some sheet up.
    Post count, what post count?

  18. #38
    Only the Green!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chooston
    Posts
    3,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayourat View Post
    Blocking the flow of the gates would increase the pressure.
    My point was if they were at the bottom and no longer buoyant they shouldn't have an effect because there wouldn't be any extra added pressure. No more than a bunch of rocks stacked up at the bottom of a damn (assuming they weren't moving).
    Post count, what post count?

  19. #39
    Cool Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14,251
    looks like it's blocking 2 gates and a partial 3rd


    I would assume that the dam was engineered to withstand gate failure but who knows

  20. #40
    Only the Green!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,034
    So if you close the gate the water pressure against it would be much greater. The infrastructure is catching the pressure of the water against the barge, not the gates. One can hope that the design called for a much greater physical force than it is experiencing at this time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •