Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Starter rifle?

Only the Green!
    Jack started shooting my .308 when he was 10. Its never bothered him.
    Post count, what post count?

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by elpatoloco View Post
    The Marlin 45/70s are tanks. Mine likes the cheap remington 405gr slug over Ruger only loads of powder. It's darn accurate.

With that said, black bears dont take anymore killin than a whitetail. I've seen several drop with .243

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

.......sooooo you can kill a Chihuahua?

Throw him a fish ladies and gents
    The Wonder

He Hate Me

Cool Club
    Took dad his ruger American this morning, swapped his Nikon off the 700 , bore sighted at 50 yards was with 2 inches.

Got it close then went to 100 , shot less than a inch with a poor rest .

He happy and I got my old 700 back

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Year Wonder View Post
    .......sooooo you can kill a Chihuahua?

Throw him a fish ladies and gents
    Nah man, point was that Lever guns can be made to be damn accurate contrary to what a lot of folks preach.

I have an old marlin 336 SC (1957ish) that will print on top of each other at 100 yards with the right load.
    I try to time my trigger jerk with my flinch so they cancel each other out.

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenheadless View Post
    Just never understood a practical need for one.
    When you need to kill something really dead?

Only the Green!
    Nah man, point was that Lever guns can be made to be damn accurate contrary to what a lot of folks preach.
    So are AK's

Every asshole you meet thinks AK in inaccurate. Nothing further from the truth. Upper torso man sized silhouette 300 meters ...ring steel every shot... open sights. Gotta know how your rifle shoots.
    The Wonder

He Hate Me

Cool Club

I have an old marlin 336 SC (1957ish) that will print on top of each other at 100 yards with the right load.
    I used to have a Ruger #1 in .280 that was possibly the sweetest shooting gun i've ever owned.

I loaned it to a moron(friend at the time) and never got it back.

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by duckpond View Post
    DPMS make a model Called the Gen II. It is an AR-10 frame but they have three models under 7.5 Lbs. I have one that I rebarrrrled to 6.5 Creed. Naked it was 7.1 LBS. I've packed it in MT up and down. Kilt a bear with it 175 yds, pass through shoulder shot. This is a 600 yd shot rifle also.
    DPMS GII is a bastardized half 15/10, research before you buy.

The DPMS 308 AR has a 1st and 2nd Gen, cosmetic differences, few little changes to improve reliability.

Diamondback makes a lightweight 16" 308 DB10 that is 7lbs before optics and will consistently ring steel out to 400 yds for a $850 complete rifle. This is built on a the Armalite pattern, different animal from the DPMS pattern altogether and uppers will not interchange.
    Last edited by Orphanedcowboy; 07-11-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Cool Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphanedcowboy View Post
    DPMS GII is a bastardized half 15/10, research before you buy.

The DPMS 308 AR has a 1st and 2nd Gen, cosmetic differences, few little changes to improve reliability.

Diamondback makes a lightweight 16" 308 DB10 that is 7lbs before optics and will consistently ring steel out to 400 yds for a $850 complete rifle. This is built on a the Armalite pattern, different animal from the DPMS pattern altogether and uppers will not interchange.
    I knew that before purchasing. Wanted a lighter version AR platform for the larger calibers. I have full blown AR 10s but as mentioned before they are boat anchors. Did not know about the diamondback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther View Post
    I used to have a Ruger #1 in .280 that was possibly the sweetest shooting gun i've ever owned.

I loaned it to a moron(friend at the time) and never got it back.
    My first "Deer Rifle" was an M77 in 280 Remington. It was a pain in the balls to locate ammo back then. I guess I was about 8 years old when Daddy bought it for me. It is a very accurate gun.

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by duckpond View Post
    I knew that before purchasing. Wanted a lighter version AR platform for the larger calibers. I have full blown AR 10s but as mentioned before they are boat anchors. Did not know about the diamondback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just weighed my DPMS pattern lightweight Gen 2 308, PSA receivers, Faxon Big Gunner 16" 308 barrel, VG6 Gamma brake, LaRue trigger, PSA LPK, Toolcraft HP BCG, 15" Guntec Lightweight Low Pattern M-Lok Handguard, low profile CMC gas block, stainless gas tube, BCM VLTOR Gunfighter Mod 3 7.62 charge handle, Armalite carbine Buffer tube with Slash's XH 8.5oz Buffer kit, Magpul CTR carbine stock, Magpul MOE grip, American Defense QD mount and Holosun HA503G-ACSS red dot.

It weighs 7lb 8.3oz with an empty 10rd Pmag Gen 3 non-window.

I probably could have shaved a 3/4 - 1lb using a shorter handguard, MOE fixed stock, rifle buffer tube kit, 14.5 pinned pencil barrel and A2 flash hider.

Double Banded
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
    When you need to kill something really dead?

Great movie! I love the scene where the Marlin blows the guy all the way out of the camera frame.

Only the Green!
    Andy,
    You asked in the OP about a starter rifle. Honestly a heavy barrel .22 lever is the right combo between "spray and pray" and "Jesus loading one round sucks". But the truth is, the best starter rifle is one that he can pump lead through all weekend and learn to shoot. I like to see a kid that knows his little "crappy" 22 so well that he hops out of the truck and plants skunks, dillos, and rabbits with confidence. (Also a great time to practice mussel handling and for Dad to watch and correct)

With all that BS said, you were talking about his size and what he can shoot at. That being the case I think you looking for his "first hunting" rifle not his "starter rifle"? As that goes, if he has a 30-06 he can end up taking it to college. The "gap gun" is a 243 or 270. I armed the same 270 from 1980 to 2013 and could put the bullet where it needed to be. Perfect for 99% of Texas hunting.

If you want him to learn to shoot, a heavy 22 Henry lever is something he will have forever. If you want him to start hunting, theres a lot of options as above, but a 243 is a great start.

(Note: all my kids got their first deer with a 700 243 that I used sitting on my Dad's knee in 1977. Obviously, I didn't shop for many options when my time came)
    5 out of 6 researchers agree that Russian Roulette is safe.

Only the Green!
    Side note to big dick AR guy,,,,

My step son got his first rifle from his other Dad and it was a simi. I have 4 kids and a few adopted.... I think the worst thing anyone can do to a kid is hand them a simi early.
    5 out of 6 researchers agree that Russian Roulette is safe.

Cool Club
    Cocaine induced post.

The 7mm-08 is a soft kicking death ray.

So is a .308 dumbass!!!! Why you faggots think there is some vast difference between the recoil of the two makes me think you all go to the same academy and believe the gross pants shitting expert behind the counter. Itís laughable.
    Back off, Warchild, seriously.......thank you.

Only the Green!
    All BS aside, if I had to buy a rifle right now for that purpose, I buy a ruger m77 or Savage in 308.

Thread closed
    The Wonder

He Hate Me

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    So is a .308 dumbass!!!! Why you faggots think there is some vast difference between the recoil of the two makes me think you all go to the same academy and believe the gross pants shitting expert behind the counter. Itís laughable.
    Faggots? You do realize that 7mm is smaller diameter than 308? The pills generally weigh less than the slugs of the bigger gun, thus generate less recoil getting to the same speeds?

Have you always been a mouth breather?

120gr vs the 150s. Generally used in deer hunting applications.

P.S. suck my ass.

Cool Club
    Faggots? You do realize that 7mm is smaller diameter than 308? The pills generally weigh less than the slugs of the bigger gun, thus generate less recoil getting to the same speeds?

Have you always been a mouth breather?

120gr vs the 150s. Generally used in deer hunting applications.

P.S. suck my ass.

No I had no idea that .284 was smaller diameter than .308. Thanks for the info.

Only the Green!
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    No I had no idea that .284 was smaller diameter than .308. Thanks for the info.
    Yet everybody else is a dumb as for thinking throwing less weight causes less recoil. U is a smart un.

Cool Club
    Yet everybody else is a dumb as for thinking throwing less weight causes less recoil. U is a smart un.
    You nailed it again bro lol!!