Thread: Reloading 3.5" 12ga

Banded Bird

Reloading 3.5" 12ga

my buddy bought an 11-87 supermag and i hav a stoeger p350. thinkin about reloading 3.5s to make i a little more economical. i like a heavy load of 2s. question is what reloader to buy an where to find recipies?
    TEAM CWS

Cool Club
    Nope to damn expensive when you can get a case for 139 shipped to your house.

Double Banded
    You would need a MEC Sizemaster setup for 3.5". Prob have to buy a SteelMaster to get the 3.5", though. However -- you don't need the steel kit, because you can't use a charge bar for steel.

If you have never loaded steel, the first thing to understand is that Alliant STEEL powder doesn't meter worth a crap through the charge bar. Nor does steel shot. So, you have to weigh every single powder drop and shot drop. I load for rifles, so I use my micrometer powder dropper, and still need to trickle the last few tenths of grains to get the powder right.

Banded Bird
    Quote Originally Posted by park duck View Post
    Nope to damn expensive when you can get a case for 139 shipped to your house.
    when start talking about a 1.5oz or a 1 9/16 oz load it skyrockets
    TEAM CWS

Banded Bird
    I use a ponsness warren magnomatic. Its a ten gauge loader, but I have tooling for all twelve gauge also. I personally shoot 12 gauge 3" day in and day out, then just shoot 10 gauge if Im going to shoot a 3 1/2 inch shell.

Noob
    Reloading is just something to do now, used too, you could save a few bucks, but shop around and you wll find the heavy 3.5 cheaper than you can reload it, that being said, I have not shot a store bought shell in anything in over 15 years

Jr Hunter
    A MEC Steelmaster is what I use as the collett resizer really helps to keep the brass sized to where even the Italian shotguns will chamber them w/o problems.

Recipes? Start here: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...d=10&shotype=1

Cost? Nowadays, it's hard(er) to handload less expensively than commercial loads, bought in bulk.

Why do it? I've found steel to be somewhat like centerfire in that you can actually tune a steelshot handload to a specific shotgun/choke tube setup and get much better performance in the field than most commercial ammo. By better performance, I'm talking patterns that have very even pellet dispersion instead of all the gaps/holes (in the 30" circle) that many steel loads seem to throw.

Double Banded
    Quote Originally Posted by JWP View Post
    Why do it? I've found steel to be somewhat like centerfire in that you can actually tune a steelshot handload to a specific shotgun/choke tube setup and get much better performance in the field than most commercial ammo. By better performance, I'm talking patterns that have very even pellet dispersion instead of all the gaps/holes (in the 30" circle) that many steel loads seem to throw.
    Truer words never spoken. You absolutely have to pattern. And you don't need 3.5" candles to kill ducks. Or geese for that matter. With steel shot, speed is your friend. 1oz of #4 or #4 x #6 duplex at close to 1700fps in a 2-3/4" shell is hard to beat inside 40 yards.

Noob
    Steel is about the only thing you can still see savings by loading. Hevi is $2/ounce + components, LEAD is $0.16/ounce + components and steel is $0.11/ounce. If I were looking to load up for ducks and geese, I'd be looking at some fast flying steel and forget about hevi.

Banded Bird
    Quote Originally Posted by Creedmore View Post
    Truer words never spoken. You absolutely have to pattern. And you don't need 3.5" candles to kill ducks. Or geese for that matter. With steel shot, speed is your friend. 1oz of #4 or #4 x #6 duplex at close to 1700fps in a 2-3/4" shell is hard to beat inside 40 yards.
    You are correct.I shoot alot of lighting steels loads.Load #24 out of the first edition is 1oz of #3s @1600 is hell on ducks out to 45.I shoot the WLBOB 3in cheddite load which is a 1 1/8oz of Bs @1595 is hell on geese out to 55 i use this load in the winter.I use 7/8oz load of Bs in 2 3/4 rem sts hull @1635 during the early season on geese.I can get this load to pattern 100% @ 40 with a kicks hf xfull choke out of my A5mag it will turn a goose head inside out @ 30.The best advantge is to loading is tayloring your loads just like you can a rifle.It is also something to do in the off season

Michael

I reload alot of handgun and rifle rounds, I use to do alot of sporting clays rounds and really thought about trying the 3.5"s shell but honestly I shoot more 3" anymore and at 139 a case for good federal steel 3.5" I dont think I could make up the cost, after buying a new loader. BUT reloading is a great thing to get into and you can reallly work some loads up for your guns you'll love.