Thread: Pumping water

Double Banded

Pumping water

I have a pond that should be about an acre when full. But with the lack of rain, it is about 1-2 ft low. It is at the bottom of a hill. There is a old farm house in the property at the top of the hill that has on old well that is full of water.

How hard would it be to pump from the well at the top of the hill. Down hill about 300yds to the pond? I would guess we wouldn't have to pump it all the way to the pond as long as we got it somewhat close it would drain into it.

Pond Popper
    Should be very easy since your going downhill. Uphill is where it gets tricky. I would try and get the pipe as close as possible, with the lack of rain the ground will soak up alot.

Double Banded

Pumping water

Quote Originally Posted by whackem View Post
    Should be very easy since your going downhill. Uphill is where it gets tricky. I would try and get the pipe as close as possible, with the lack of rain the ground will soak up alot.
    What size pump would be necessary? Are there any tricks, tips, ect? Or just pump?

Double Banded
    What is really important is the capacity of the well to keep up to the rate of pumping. Most of the high capacity wells around here are very deep. Is it a cased well or the old brick/concrete style ?

Double Banded

Pumping water

I would guess the well is 70 yrs old. It is brick lined. Have no idea of depth. I know it's got a lot of water in it and will replenish its self fairly quickly. Though I have no idea how much water it will take to raise the pond a ft. So it may require us to pump it multiple times. But I don't need instant results. Just want this place to be about 2 ft deeper later in the season

Double Banded
    A 2" trash pump would probably be adequate and the pvc pipe would be cheap. Anything more than 2" and the well will probably will not be able to keep up for long. Results will be slow though. You can pick up a 2" relatively cheap. Intex rubber in Hewitt has all of the hoses and fittings. They can make whatever length hose needed while you wait, good prices too.

If you need for the pump to run for longer than a few hours, rig it up to an outboard fuel tank and let'r rip. There is about 326,000 gallons in an acre foot and you will lose some to the ground. I have a high volume 4" and it takes about 12-14 hours of constant running to put out an acre foot.

Only the Green!

Re: Pumping water

Make yourself a run of 2" PVC pipe from the well to.the water in the pond, use 2" flexible hose from as deep in the well as possible, add a ball foot valve(check valve) and prime it by pushing as much hose down.into the well as possible, once primed, let gravity do the work. Start it one afternoon, comeback and check the next morning. Schedule 20(?) Light pipe is cheap and very flexible. 2" flexible hose and a ball foot valve is also cheap compared to gas and a pump. It is also quieter.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

Only the Green!
    How deep is the well?
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." Lt. Col Jeff cooper

Only the Green!
    Might be able to find some old fire house to run. Be alot of friction loss using it though.

Banded Bird
    Since you aren't in a hurry and if you aren't running hose/pipe close to the hole, I'd wait until we get a rain and the ground is wet so you don't lose as much with the ground sucking it up.

Double Banded

Pumping water

Quote Originally Posted by DedDuk View Post
    How deep is the well?
    Have no clue. It may not be enough water to make much of a difference. But I was just toying with the idea figured if I could raise it some then hopefully get some rain to top it off.

Double Banded
    2 inch lay flat pipe would be better than pvc. An electric pump with an automatic cut off(if it loses prime) would be the trick if you have electricity.

You wouldn't need one this big(10hp). It pumps over a million gallons per day.

Last edited by Catdaddy; 10-30-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Double Banded

Pumping water

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    2 inch lay flat pipe would be better than pvc. An electric pump with an automatic cut off(if it loses prime) would be the trick if you have electricity
    I do have electricity. Would I be able to rent flat lay pipe?

Only the Green!
    My concern would be well depth and if a pump can suck from the surface. May have to get a smaller pump that you can lower into the well. Output is not the issue, suction is.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." Lt. Col Jeff cooper